KU 150

Items in the KU 150 Collection

North College, 1867
Starkly seen against the backdrop of early Lawrence and the Kansas River is North College the first building built for the University of Kansas.  This is the earliest known photograph of KU probably taken in 1867.  The building was just 50 feet…

Bird's Eye View of the City of Lawrence
Note that North College is drawn in just to the left of center and is also in the inset at lower right.

Old Fraser (University) Hall
Old Fraser Hall was opened initially as University Hall in 1872.  In 1897 the building was rededicated to honor John Fraser, the university’s second chancellor.  It was razed in 1965 amid much controversy. 

Old Haworth Hall
Haworth Hall, completed in 1909, was the first building for the benefit of the School of Engineering. Within its walls were mining and ore-dressing laboratories and facilities for mining engineering, geology, and mineralogy. Like Robinson it was…

Chemistry Hall
Chemistry Hall opened in January of 1884 to contain the noxious fumes that plagued people and collections housed in Snow Hall. Esteemed Professor of Chemistry, Edgar H. S. Bailey, happily moved his students into a building with special laboratories…

Old Robinson Gymnasium
Robinson Gymnasium was named in honor of Charles and Sara Robinson for their long-time service to the state of Kansas and the city of Lawrence. Opened in 1907 it included a 107 by 70 feet gymnasium, a swimming pool and men’s and women’s locker…

Campus Aerial
Photograph of campus taken from the air probably in 1923 or 1924. The locations of university buildings that are no longer extant can also be seen, including the first Fraser Hall, Old Blake Hall, Chemistry Hall, Old Snow Hall, Haworth Hall, and…

Campus map key
The key identifies the buildings and locations seen in the photo.  The locations of university buildings that are no longer extant can also be seen, including the first Fraser Hall, Old Blake Hall, Chemistry Hall, Old Snow Hall, Haworth Hall, and…

Chancellor John Fraser
Carte de visite photograph taken in 1864(?) at the New York studio of Mathew B. Brady, the National Photographic Portrait Galleries. Mathew Brady’s studio was known for the sale of cartes de visite to soldiers during the Civil War. Captain Fraser…

Professor Cynthia Smith
The first female professor, taught French language and literature.